Viewing Live Data
VBOX Touch can be connected directly to a computer running our next generation of data analysis software VBOX Test Suite in order to view live data and perform tests. To connect to VBOX Test Suite, please follow the steps below.
- Connect an RLCAB001 cable from the top CAN/Serial port of the VBOX Touch to the computer's serial port (a USB-serial adapter may be required).
- Ensure the SD card is inserted and then apply power to the unit. Go to the 'Settings' menu by selecting the Settings Button on the bottom left of the screen.
- Access the 'Serial Port Settings' screen by swiping the the screen left or by using the Forward arrow on the bottom right of the screen.
- Navigate to 'Serial Ouput' and ensure that the Output Mode is set to 'VBOX Stream' by pressing on the corresponding button next to the option.
- Open the VBOX Test Suite Software, it can be downloaded from the VBOX Automotive Website if required.
- Navigate to the 'Home' tab, select the 'Online' button and choose the correct COM port for VBOX Touch from the drop down menu.
Once the software is connected to VBOX Touch, the dashboard gauges will automatically start to display the data being sent live over the VBOX's serial stream.
In this Online mode, Start, Stop and Reset buttons will appear on the dashboard. These buttons are used to start, stop and reset any open tests.
When in Online mode, a newly-created session will be populated with session data from the previous session (if entered).
Note: The COM port selection can be cancelled before the software has fully opened online communications. This is done by selecting the 'X' button at the bottom left of the software window, as shown below.
If the connection is lost, a 'Disconnected' message is displayed. To reconnect again, select the 'Try Reconnect' option.
More information on viewing live data and performing tests using VBOX Test Suite can be found here.
Saving Live VBOX Data
Whilst in 'Online' mode, live VBOX data can be saved as a .vbo or .csv file when a test has been completed. To do this, once a test has finished, navigate to the 'File' menu at the top left of the 'Ribbon' bar and select 'Save As' from the dropdown.
A pop up will then appear enabling you to choose VBOX Test Suite calculated channels, configured maths channels and test plugin specific channels to be included within the file. If there are multiple sessions, you can choose which one to save by using the drop down within the 'Session to save' option.
Pressing 'OK' will then let you name and save the file locally on the PC, enabling you to load this file in to VBOX Test Suite or a spreadsheet program for analysis at a later date.
Note: The saved .vbo will mirror the test data stored on the storage medium within the unit.
If you do not need to conduct live testing, a recorded session will also be saved within the SD card as a .vbo file, which can be analysed later within the software.
If a file is loaded in that does not contain a valid satellite fix at the start of the file, the software will temporarily hide the first 20 seconds of the file in order to avoid potential large time jumps when the GNSS engine establishes the correct time.