01 - VBOX Micro Introduction
The VBOX Micro is a small, waterproof (IP66) GPS data-logging device, which records your speed, position, acceleration and many other parameters. This data is stored on a removable compact flash card. Software provided with the unit allows you to view and analyse all of the parameters, which have been recorded, allowing you to see how fast you were going at any time, your maximum g-force, where you went on Google Earth and many other interesting and useful parameters.
The fastest recording rate is 10 samples per second, which is good for capturing fast events like a sports car on a circuit, a downhill skier or even a mountain biker. The slowest recording rate is 1 sample per minute, which is useful for more long term testing such as vehicle endurance testing, mileage/route analysis or even the movement of a ship. VBOX Micro logs 116 bytes/sample (default standard channels), at a log rate of 10 Hz this equates to 4.2Mbytes/hour. Using a 512 MB compact flash card, at a log rate of 10 Hz, you get around 120 hours recording, and at 1 sample per minute you get over 3000 days recording!
The VBOX Micro records the following parameters as standard: Time, Position, Velocity, Heading, Height, Vertical Velocity, and Accumulated Distance. You can also record other parameters, either by connecting directly to your vehicle’s CAN bus, or by connecting a suitable external input module.
What Can The VBOX Micro Do?
- Measure speed, distance and acceleration
- Analyse driving line
- Compare driving style with others
- See if the most is being made of tyres during braking and cornering
- Plot routes on Google Earth
- Measure acceleration figures, top speed, ¼ mile etc.
- Take it anywhere – IP66 sealed against water, mud, dust etc.
- Choose a sample rate from 10 times a second to once per minute
- Attach input modules to log additional channels
- Connect to CAN bus of vehicle
- Connect via CAN to a third party data-logger
- USB interface for setup
- 13 GPS channels logged + 16 external channels
- LED operational status indication
*Not all vehicles have a CAN bus, and each manufacturer uses a different protocol. However, we can supply CAN sets for various manufacturers, see the vehicle CAN database section on our website for details.
VBOX Micro Inputs and Outputs