04 - PB/DB - Data Logging
Providing that you have registered your PerformanceBox / DriftBox, then it will be capable of logging data to an SD card.
Using the SD card
The Performance Box will only work with SD and SDHC hardware.
- Files logged by PerformanceBox / DriftBox are named ‘PBOX_001.dbn’, or 'DBOX_001.dbn' where 001 increments when a new file is created. A new file is created every time the unit is powered up, or when the card is re-inserted. If you wish to log data to the SD card then simply insert the card into the slot in the front of the unit. The PerformanceBox / DriftBox will log vehicle position, speed and acceleration into a binary ‘.dbn’ file which can be opened in PerformanceTools / DriftTools software for analysis. This data is logged when velocity is above 0.5Km/h.
The PerformanceBox / DriftBox has two logging modes, selectable through the SETUP menu available from any screen.
- ONLY WHEN MOVING: In this mode data is only logged to an SD card (.DBN file) whilst the Speed is greater than 0.5km/h.
Only ever remove the SD card when you are stationary, otherwise you will risk losing data or corrupting the card (which would require a re-format).
- CONTINUOUS: In this mode data is logged to the SD card (.DBN file) regardless of Speed or satellite reception
Before removing the SD card, the data-logging process must be stopped by pressing the MENU button, which ends the writing of data to the card and closes the current file.
To read data from the card either:
- Insert the card into a SD card reader connected to your computer
- Connect your computer directly to PerformanceBox / DriftBox via the supplied USB cable to read the data from the card. Note, the unit must not be writing to the card when you connect to your PC.
To ensure Windows recognises the PerformanceBox / DriftBox, power up your PerformanceBox / DriftBox before connecting the USB cable to your PC.
Below is a list of the file suffix’s and definitions that are used by PerformanceBox / DriftBox units and software:
|*.dbn||Binary format file containing logged Position, Speed, Acceleration data|
|*.vbo||ASCII format file containing logged Position, Speed, Acceleration data|
|*.txt||Performance and Lap times are stored in text format|
|*.dsf||Split files containing Start/finish and Split line locations|
|*.cir||Circuit overlay file for track mapping|