Please register your VBOX Touch so that Racelogic can continue to provide you with notifications about the latest software releases and firmware upgrades for your Racelogic product, and offer technical support.
Register your device here.
What is in the box?
When you purchase a VBOX Touch Motorsport (v1) (RLVBTOUCH-M), you will find the following items when you open the box:
|VBTOUCH-V1||1||VBOX Touch Unit|
|MECH0298SD||1||Rubber Overmould - Black|
|RLCAB014LE||1||Lemo 2-way plug - 2-wire unterminated - 2m cable|
|RLACS313||1||8 GB SD Ultima Pro UHS-1 Memory Card|
|RLACS262||1||GNSS Antenna (3 m)|
|ACS318MOUNT||1||Suction Cup Windscreen Mount|
|RLVBACS004||Brake Pedal Trigger|
|RLVBACS010||Hand Held Start/Stop Logging Switch|
|RLCAB001||VBOX PC Serial Cable|
VBOX Touch logs data to an SD card. Depending on the Logging Strategy that is set in the General Settings area, the unit will either log continuously or when movement is detected (default).
SD Card Format
VBOX Touch is supplied with an 8 GB SDHC card in a FAT32 file format, which is the only file format supported.
If you are looking to purchase a new SD card, it is recommended that any card used has a write speed of above 7 MB/s (4 MB/s absolute minimum) and a speed class of 10 (4 absolute minimum). Racelogic recommends SD cards from quality brands such as Transcend, SanDisk, Kingston or Lexar to ensure the best results.
If an SD card is formatted in the exFAT or NTFS file formats, it will need to be reformatted into a FAT32 file system before it will work with a VBOX Touch unit.
SDHC cards (2 GB to 32 GB)
Supplied or purchased SDHC cards are formatted in the FAT32 file format. This format is supported by VBOX Touch.
SDXC cards (64 GB and above)
Purchased SDXC cards will be formatted in exFAT or NTFS file formats; these formats are not supported by VBOX Touch (please reformat as per instructions below).
SD Card Reformatting
- FAT32 reformatting for media with sizes up to 32 GB can be done directly within Windows by right-clicking on the media and selecting 'Format'.
- If you would like to format media with sizes above 32 GB into a FAT32 file system, this isn't something that can be done directly within Windows as it is not the standard formatting for the file. However, many third-party software programs can be used to reformat media to allow them to work correctly with our products - we can recommend This Tool as a free option from the SD card organisation.
The VBOX Touch unit is powered by a power cable that is unterminated so that you can make a bare-wire connection to a power supply. The cable terminates in a 2-way connector that mates with the Power socket on VBOX Touch.
On boot-up, the VBOX Touch will display a splash screen and automatically look for satellites and media.
The first time that the unit is booted up, the Display Mode screen will be presented. Every time after this, the last used display mode will be opened.
VBOX Touch logs data via an SD card inserted into the side of the unit. Depending on the Logging Strategy selected within the General Settings area, the unit will either log continuously or when movement is detected (default).
If you have come to a stop, but the Record Icon is still on, press the SD Card Icon to stop the logging before removing the card.
Sometimes, due to poor satellite visibility in a garage or close to a building, the box may start recording, even if the car is stationary. Always check the Record Icon before ejecting the card.
Do not remove the SD card when the Record Icon is on as you may lose data.
Note: If for some reason the SD card is removed while the unit is still recording, it may need to be repaired using a PC before it can be reused.
You can also control the logging by using an RLVBACS010 hand-held latching trigger switch (unlatched for logging/ latched for not logging). Continuous Logging Mode should be selected when using the switch. It is connected to the 3-pin Digital In and PPS Connector on the side of the VBOX Touch.
When the trigger switch is connected and latched, it is not possible to use the SD Card Icon to manually start or stop logging data.
VBOX Touch logs channels to an inserted SD card within a .vbo file, channel information is available below:
- Satellites: This is the number of satellites in use.
- Time: This is UTC since midnight in the form HHMMSS.SS.
- Latitude: Latitude in minutes MMMM.MMMMMMMM +ve = North e.g. 3169.30644410M = 52D, 49M, 18.4S.
- Longitude: Longitude in minutes MMMMM.MMMMMMMM +ve = West e.g. 00040.18164742M = 00D, 40M, 10.9S.
- Velocity: Velocity in km/h.
- Heading: Heading in degrees concerning North.
- Height: Height above sea level in meters based on the model of the earth used by VBOX GNSS engines.
- Vertical velocity: Vertical velocity in km/h. +ve velocity uphill, -ve velocity downhill.
- Long accel: Longitudinal acceleration in g, +ve for forward acceleration.
- Lat accel: Lateral acceleration in g, +ve for acceleration to the left.
- Solution type: Indicator for what the unit is currently using to derive position: 0 = No sats; 1 = Standalone using GNSS only; 2 = DGNSS.
- Event 1 time: This is the digital input oversample timer used to interpolate the trigger event time between captured samples.
You can find more information about the VBO file format here